[Aide] Problem understanding aide.conf rules and subsequent AIDE behavior

Randy Brown Randy.Brown at noaa.gov
Fri May 5 20:10:06 EEST 2006

That was my understanding too, but I'm sure not seeing that behavior.
Part of my rule set is as follows:

    / p+u+g
   /usr L
   /usr/local L
   /boot R
   /etc p+i+n+u+g+s+m

As a test, I modified the /etc/passwd file.  The mtime changed and the
size changed.  AIDE turned up nothing when I ran aide --check.  Then I
change the permissions on the /etc/password file and ran aide --check
again.  It picked up the permission change, but never caught the mtime
or size change.

I thought is would be best to use:
/ R
as the first rule and then get more specific on the subdirectories as
needed, and exclude the things I don't care to monitor.  The exclude
rules seem to behave as expected, but the "include" rules don't seem to
do what I think they are supposed to do.

Randy