[Aide] Problem understanding aide.conf rules and subsequent AIDE behavior

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Fri May 5 22:03:25 EEST 2006

Randy Brown wrote:
> That was my understanding too, but I'm sure not seeing that behavior.
> Part of my rule set is as follows:
>
>     / p+u+g
>    /usr L
>    /usr/local L
>    /boot R
>    /etc p+i+n+u+g+s+m
>
> As a test, I modified the /etc/passwd file.  The mtime changed and the
> size changed.  AIDE turned up nothing when I ran aide --check.  Then I
> change the permissions on the /etc/password file and ran aide --check
> again.  It picked up the permission change, but never caught the mtime
> or size change.

I just tested this case with the aide 0.11, and it does catch the mtime
and size change like it is expected to.

Are you sure you did an --init after you changed the aide.conf file? If
so, please change the /etc/passwd file again (touch should be enough)
and send the output of "aide -V255 --check".

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg