[Aide] WARNING: Old db contains a entry that shouldn't be there, run --init or --update

Hannes von Haugwitz hannes at vonhaugwitz.com
Tue Feb 25 22:23:39 EET 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 08:32:28PM -0500, vince at vheuser.com wrote:
> I've search several times and read dozens of posts
> from people asking newbies to post their config.
>
> What I have not found is the means of troubleshooting this problem.
> How does one find the "entry that shouldn't be there?"
>
> Here's the most detailed discussion I found:
> https://alioth-lists-archive.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-aide-maintainers/2014-September/002196.html
>
> There seem to be no posts out there describing what to check.
> Is this a bug or how does on find the problem?

The message basically means that there are entries in the database with
no matching rule in the configuration file(s). A reinitialization of the
database logically would help here, as the entries wouldn't be re-added
due to the missing matching rule.

Currently I'm rewriting the report and logging code of AIDE and I plan
to also improve the handling of the above situation.

Best regards

Hannes