[Aide] AIDE configuration taking too long

Mason Nakadomari nakadoma at hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 8 10:30:17 EEST 2013

Hi everyone while the time is gotten down its still taking very long about
3 to 4 days to complete. I've been looking at the verbose reports but most
of it just shows the files being digested without really wha tmight be the
problem I can post but I'm not sure how useful it would be. My boss really
wants to scan as much files as possible and I need a reason not to scan
certain directories. I already filtered out the directories suggested just
/sys and /proc. However the scans still take 3 to 4 days to complete and
generate reports 143000 lines long. Is there anyway I can speed this up or
is cutting down on files the only way. Even on single thread should it
really take this long to complete a scan even with a million files it
shouldn't take this long should it? Is there anything I'm missing I should
cut out. I narrorwed out the always changing files of /var/log and
/var/spool only targeting certain files. But I'm not sure what else to cut
out. My boss is paranoid and wants as much of files checked as possible but
question the wisdom of checking in thousands of binaries of firmware files.
I know that a trojan could happen anywhere but I doubt even this would find
it easily. Any tips would be appreciated I'm sorry I just have no idea why
its taking so long. The file system is about 50 GB but at best we are
scanning 20 GB. Thanks any advice is appreciate. I'm sorry for the trouble.