[Aide] Compare too aggressive

Vijay vavarachen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:44:20 EET 2010

Proskurin,
Not sure what you mean by "aggressive" but if you are seeing high loads
during aide execution, consider updating the checksums you calculate.

Instead of using something like:
Checksums = md5+sha1+rmd160+haval+gost+crc32+tiger+whirlpool

Use:
Checksums = sha1+md5

Also assess your aide config file to eliminate unnecessary checks.

Adding a sleep "a few sec" between two file compares can result in extremely
lengthy run time.  A CentOS 5 server with minimal packages alone can have up
to 40,000 files, so even inserting a 1 sec sleep between each check would
result in something like a 11+ hour run time.

Maybe you can provide some more details on what you are trying to do and
what your current configuration looks like.

Thanks,
Vijay

--
"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."