[Aide] Aide Stack Overflow with large configuration files

Thomas Toth ttoth at infosys.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 2 14:49:39 EET 2004

Hi,

after having sucessfully compiled AIDE I tried it on my system.

Unfortunately I noticed that AIDE dumps when I insert about 10000 files
for monitoring. Using GDB I found out the following:

bash-2.05# gdb /root/compiling_aide/aide-0.10/src/aide
GNU gdb 6.0
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.9"...
(gdb) set args -c aide.conf
(gdb) r
Starting program: /root/compiling_aide/aide-0.10/src/aide -c aide.conf
9996:parser stack overflow
0x00062ed8 in strlen ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x00062ed8 in strlen ()
#1  0x00044058 in _doprnt ()
#2  0x00040290 in vfprintf ()
#3  0x00013d50 in error (errorlevel=684156, error_msg=0x6e618
"%i:%s:%s\n") at error.c:165
(gdb)

If I run the same with a file generated by
head -n 9995 aide.conf > aide.conf1
then everything works without problems.

No special characters can be found in line 9996. When I take another file,
the same problem occurs in line 9996. It seems to me that this might be a
stack-related problem.

Or is some buffer allocated in a fixed way in aide?

Thomas