[Aide] Dead project

Marc Haber mh+aide at zugschlus.de
Mon Sep 3 17:07:26 EEST 2018

Hi,

Aide is neither dead not unuseable on Debian. Upstream is a DD and is
personally involved in packaging aide in Debian. And so am I.

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 01:41:57AM +0200, LIJE Creative wrote:
> apt-get install aide aide-common

At this point, the package should have asked you whether you want to run
aideinit.

> aide --init
> > error

The error message is:
[18/3333]mh at lasso:~ $ aide --init
Couldn't open file /var/lib/aide/please-dont-call-aide-without-parameters/aide.db.new for writing
18 [19/3334]mh at lasso:~ $

The explanation can be found in
/usr/share/doc/aide-common/README.Debian.gz

I am most worried about the failure of your system to ask the debconf
questions that come with the package. Are you sure that your system is
fine?

And also I am worried by your attitude. You didn't file a bug in Debian,
you don't give accurate error messsages, and you didn't seem to have
bothered to find the docs that came with your package.

Greetings
Marc