[Aide] aide --update questions and error codes

Andrew Huffman andrew.j.huffman at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:23:46 EEST 2016

Hello,

I'm working on an Ansible role to deploy and configure aide.  I have a
question on the --update option.

When is the proper time to use 'aide --update'?  Is it post configuration
change, or are there better use cases for --update?  The documentation
confused me on this, as this is really the first time I've configured and
made use of aide, and trying to wrap my head around the proper way to use
it.  Should I replace the aide.db.gz with aide.db.new.gz after an aide
--update, and backup the original aide.db.gz?

2nd Question, is there a detailed list of every return code for aide as I
only found a listing of when aide --check is run?  I'm getting return code
7 after an aide --update, where I'm getting some feedback from stdout about
trying to read ACLs on files that no longer exist.

--
Regards,

Andrew