[Aide] aide --update issue.

Marc Haber mh+aide at zugschlus.de
Wed May 11 18:22:15 EEST 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:36:00PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> When i try to update the database aide command generate error.
>
>  #aide --update
>
> Couldn't open file
> /var/lib/aide/please-dont-call-aide-without-parameters/aide.db.new for
> writing

If you decide not to use Debian's mechanisms, you need to give an
explicit --config option.

Is "please-dont-call-aide-without-parameters" not clear enough so that
you started messing around with database permissions?

Please see also man aide-wrapper(8) and
/usr/share/doc/aide-common/README.Debian.gz

Hannes, you might want to think (upstream-wise) about a more elegant
way to have distributors avoid users accidentally destroying their
production aide database. Maybe some of the functionality of the
Debian wrapper could find its way into upstram aide?

Greetings
Marc