[Aide] Need help with AIDE configuration

Keith Constable kccricket at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:47:27 EEST 2016

The answer to your original question is to run "aide --check". Given a
properly initialized database, the output will be exactly what you're
looking for. I promise.

Based on the screen shot you originally included, it looks to me that your
current database is empty. You'll need to move/rename the aide.db.new file
generated by that cron script into the path and file name noted by the
DATABASE variable line. Future runs of AIDE will then only report actual
filesystem changes.

If you browse the source for AIDE, I doubt you will find references to this
cron script. OS packages often include these sorts of scripts for ease of
use. If I'm wrong, I'm certain Hannes will step in and correct me. In the
past, he's stated that he's unable to support the cron scripts because he
didn't write them. I also have no experience with this cron script.

I mentioned protecting the AIDE database and binaries because any results
generated by AIDE are meaningless unless you can verify that an intruder
hasn't modified the binaries and database. That said, I understand certain
applications of AIDE may not warrant such paranoia. It's up to you how far
you want to take it.

Regards,
Keith