[Aide] Daily email check results

Jean-Yves Michaud jy.michaud+aide at nomagic.fr
Thu Mar 13 00:53:00 EET 2014

>> Entry /var/lib/exim4 in databases has different attributes: 800000bbd 1a00200a1d
>> I do not understand what these messages means.
> It means the attributes in the database or different from the ones in the config file.
If I use aide-attributes I get:
# aide-attributes 800000bbd 1a00200a1d
-size
-ctime
-mtime
+acl
+xattrs
+e2fsattrs

Considering I have hex-encoded attributes differences for plenty of
elements, does that mean that the daily cron script does not apply
attributes rules as defined in aide.cron?
I can't seem to find out how come these differences appear, as it should
all follow the same rules, shouldn't it?

>> The steps I executed to initialize AIDE are as follow:
>>
>> # aide -c /etc/aide/aide.conf --init
>> # cp /var/lib/aide/aide.db.new /var/lib/aide/aide.db
>> # aide -c /etc/aide/aide.conf --check
>> # aide -c /etc/aide/aide.conf --update
> After the --update you need the check the output, and when satisfied copy or move the aide.db.new to aide.db like you did in step 2. A --config is not required before an --update btw.
Ok, thank you for clarifying this. I did a copy and ran the daily script
manually, but still getting the "different attributes" lines.

> Kind regards,
>
> Richard

Best regards,

Jean-Yves