[Aide] Config file on aide check

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Sun Sep 8 12:38:33 EEST 2013

On 08-09-13 10:10, Mason Nakadomari wrote:

> Hi I wanted to clear up my confusion about how aide works. Does the
> aide --check command work if there is no aide.conf. when a check is
> run then it won't run right?

If there is no config file, aide does not know which files to scan with
which rules. Also, a database is needed to check against. Aide --init
creates the initial database from a given config file.

> Also I just wanted to check that the aide check doesn't update the
> conf every time a check happens. I believe that it only updates the
> conf file on the database after an aide --init. I just wanted to
> check. Thanks.

When aide is run in update mode (--update) the database is updated, and
the changes with the old database reported. The config file is never
automatically updates.

Kind regards,

Richard