[Aide] Implementation and configuration question.

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Wed May 22 12:46:32 EEST 2013

Hello Dave,

> 1) Running the cron.daily script for aide is terrifying.  It's 705 lines
> of very dense shell script, and I'm not really sure how different it is
> than a single cron line that says aide --check

Aide does not ship with a cron.daily script. Most likely this is provided by your Linux distribution. You should request support for this script there. Did you read their documentation for example in /usr/share/doc ?

See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide/manual.html#usage

> 3) There's an option buried in the daily cron job called COPYNEWDB, but
> there's no indication where this option is set or how to set it.

See my answer to 1).

> aide comes close to being a very useful tool, but I'm finding the
> implementation very difficult to understand, and it strikes me as overly
> complex.

Again, see my answer to 1).

> If I can get these basic operations going, I'll probably
> implement it.  Am i missing some basic concept?

Which parts of http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide/manual.html specifically do you have questions about?

Kind regards,

Richard