[Aide] question about dealing with expected files

Smith, Cathy cathy.smith at pnnl.gov
Sun Mar 31 01:08:46 EET 2013

Hi, again

I followed the instructions, and everything worked for what I wanted to check or not check in /var/log/sa.  Great.  So I went to the next directory, /var/log/aide, did the same thing, but it's not working.  I’m still getting notified of files that are expected and that I want to exclude.  I'm not sure what is not working.  So I'd appreciate your assistance again.

Just a note. I'm running the version provided by Red Hat REHL6.  Everything is in one big file.  So, to make the most general rule clearer in the file, I reorganized a bit.  The default file provided by RH didn't really make it clear about the most general rule and had some things interspersed.  Also, this version from RH has nothing set up to handle the normal file creation/deletion that happens with logrotate.  I am trying to address this.

Oh, before it's asked, I am very careful when making a change to the aide.conf file to do
	aide --check-config
	aide --update
	cd /var/lib/aide
	cp aide.db.new.gz aide.db.gz
I also did a check on the timestamp on aide.db.gz and aide.conf just to be sure.

Here is the part of the report that I don't want to see:

Added files:

added: /var/log/aide/aide.log-20130327.gz
added: /var/log/aide/aide.log-20130328

Removed files:

removed: /var/log/aide/aide.log-20130327

Here are the files that exist in /var/log/aide
	/var/log/aide.log
	/var/log/aide.log-20130330
	/var/log/aide.log-20130329.gz

I hate to include the entire aide.conf file either inside the body of the email or as an attachment due to size, but I will if requested.  Here is the relevant section that I've created for handling /var/log.

# /var/log  - Begin section
# normal type log files that are expected to grow
/var/log/wtmp$ LOG
/var/log/messages$ LOG
/var/log/yum.log$ LOG
/var/log/up2date$ LOG
/var/log/sudo.log$ LOG
/var/log/maillog$ LOG
/var/log/dmesg$ LOG

# ignore files created by logrotate
!/var/log/[a-zA-Z].*-\d{8}.*

# ignore files ending in .old
!/var/log/.*\.old$

# do check /var/log/sa but ignore expected files
!/var/log/sa/sa[0-9][0-9]$
!/var/log/sa/sar[0-9][0-9]$
/var/log/sa NORMAL

# take care of /var/log/aide