[Aide] libgcrypt error

Keith Constable kccricket at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 02:34:51 EEST 2012

On 26 Oct 2012, at 6:37 PM, Chandana De Silva <chandana at messagemedia.com.au> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to run aide 0.13 on a Centos 5.2 server, and am getting this
> error :  libgcrypt version mismatch.
>
> This seems to be from this change:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/aide.git/diff/?id=af2e1397d3c3ba8cf65699ce2ac0205f7995b944
>
> Checking the aide RPM and the libgcrypt RPM, things seem to match.
>
> Can someone help me, please ?
>
> Thanks and regards
> Chandana

Chandana,

I apologize in advance, as my advice is probably not what you are looking for.

That old CentOS build of aide is compiled as a dynamic binary. According to the aide documentation, this is not recommended [1]. Building aide this way decreases the security offered by aide, as the linked libraries then become an attack vector.

I highly recommend compiling your own aide binary and using that, rather than one packaged in 2007.

Best regards,

Keith Constable

[1] http://aide.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=aide/aide;a=blob;f=README;hb=HEAD