[Aide] DataBase

James jamesmajeski at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:41:00 EET 2012

Thank you for your reply. I do not know if it is appropriate, but I added
you as a blind courtesy copy (BCC).

I am a beginner in the use of Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64). I tried this
before and it does not work. I get the same results running the command
under root. I do not understand the error message other than the file does
not exist. The more I play with it, the more I think the problem goes
deeper than a missing database.

*:~$ aide --init*
*Couldn't open file
/var/lib/aide/please-dont-call-aide-without-parameters/aide.db.new for
writing*
*:~$ *

[/var/lib/aide is a directory, not a file.]

*:~$ ls /var/lib/aide*
*aide.conf.autogenerated*
*:~$ *

Reading the documentation is one thing, understanding the documentation is
more difficult especially for the beginner that must go to multiple sources
to collate fragmented data relevant to the documentation. Please understand
that I know how difficult it is for an expert to write documentation for
the beginner, but that is a discussion for another venue.

Please feel free to delete the non-technical portions before archiving our
correspondence.

*IN GOD WE TRUST*
James