[Aide] AIDE Macro Definitions for Windows

Eric Webster ewebster at 2co.com
Thu Feb 18 22:24:42 EET 2010

Hello,

        I am trying to define some macros for use on Windows systems, where the long paths make the confs look ugly and large. No matter what I try I seem to get a configuration error and I'm wondering why.

Example:
@@define ALLUSERS '/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/All\ Users'

This line always gives me a configuration error, yet if I use the same path in a normal rule it works:
!/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/All\ Users/Application\ Data/SomeVendor/SomeFile\.ext$

My goal was to have that line instead reads:
@@{ALLUSERS}/SomeVendor/SomeFile\.ext$

        I have tried enclosing it in single and double quotes, as well as neither. All give the same error, and it's always on the first macro definition line, and not the line where it is being used. I'm guessing the spaces are what is throwing it off, but I can use them by escaping them in the config file on normal lines.

        While I'm on the subject of Windows, there is something else I've always wondered but never cared enough to send an email about. I've never been able to get rules to work for SQL Server either. Named instances always have a '$' in the path that can't seem to be escaped. I've never been able to make any rule work for a path such as '/c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ SQL\ Server/MSSQL\$INSTANCENAME'. Any advice there as well?

Regards,
Eric Webster

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: All information included in this communication, including attachment(s), is intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above, and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any use, distribution or copying of this communication is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and delete this communication from your computer.