[Aide] Need a bit of help configuring AIDE

Dominique Gibeau dgibeau at gggolf.ca
Thu Mar 12 17:30:55 EET 2009

Hi,
    I am at my first tries setting up AIDE on our servers. It was
installed when I got control of those servers but since the output was
nearly endless and I was never reading it, I decided that it would be
required to try configuring it properly in order to have a output that
is useful.

    Basically the setup is original as it is installed on Debian
systems. I simply added a file with 50 priority following the personal
guide of Russell Gadd which currently contains the following lines

/var/log Logs
/var/log/aide Logs
/var/log/apache2 Logs
/var/log/exim4 Logs
/etc/tinydns/log/main Logs
/etc/dnscache/log/main Logs

!/home/www/services/libs/Smarty_compile/.*
!/home/www/myhostname.ca/sites/public/cache/.*
!/home/www/myhostname.ca/socket/members/.*

/var/lib/mysql p+n+l+u+g+c

    The main goal is mostly to ignore the log files (or at least not be
bothered by normal changes of those files and of the rotated logs),
completely ignore the temporary files in the 3 folders described by the
middle section and to have only important output for the ever changing
mysql databases.

    I think I mostly need help for the way to write the rules, even
after having gone through the help files and semi-guides found on the
net, it not all clear to me how it works. If I can get some of my rules
working I should be able to configure AIDE properly for my environment.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    I hope I made my self clear, I am used to speak French. BTW I guess
you guys know the meaning of "aide" in French?

--

Dominique Gibeau