[Aide] Can't read database file

Jesse jessebikman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:17:03 EEST 2009

Hi, I'm running Aide on RHEL5, and I'm trying to make my own config file. I
wipe out all the default directories and add my own three. I've added my
aide_web.conf file below, which I'm using in place of aide.conf. Everything
works fine, I can initialize my directory just fine, but when I try and
update my directory so that I can compare and see what has changed, I am
told that I do not have permission to open my database file. This happens
when I run aide through sudo, when I run aide through sudo -i, when I chmod
777 the database file, everything. Is there something I'm not doing
correctly?

#My aide_web.conf file:
# AIDE configuration file for checking pcs, seem, and mees coe-web
directories.

@@define DBDIR  /tmp
@@define LOGDIR /tmp

# The location of the database to be read.
database=file:@@{DBDIR}/aide.db

# The location of the database to be written.
#database_out=sql:host:port:database:login_name:passwd:table
#database_out=file:aide.db.new
database_out=file:@@{DBDIR}/aide.db.new

# Whether to gzip the output to database
gzip_dbout=no

# Default.
verbose=5

report_url=file:@@{LOGDIR}/aide.log
report_url=stdout
#report_url=stderr
#NOT IMPLEMENTED report_url=mailto:root at foo.com
#NOT IMPLEMENTED report_url=syslog:LOG_AUTH

# These are the default rules.
#
#p:      permissions
#i:      inode:
#n:      number of links
#u:      user
#g:      group
#s:      size
#b:      block count
#m:      mtime
#a:      atime
#c:      ctime
#acl:           Access Control Lists
#selinux        SELinux security context
#xattrs:        Extended file attributes
#S:      check for growing size
#md5:    md5 checksum
#sha1:   sha1 checksum
#sha256:        sha256 checksum
#sha512:        sha512 checksum
#rmd160: rmd160 checksum
#tiger:  tiger checksum

#haval:  haval checksum (MHASH only)
#gost:   gost checksum (MHASH only)
#crc32:  crc32 checksum (MHASH only)
#whirlpool:     whirlpool checksum (MHASH only)

#R:             p+i+n+u+g+s+m+c+acl+selinux+xattrs+md5
#L:             p+i+n+u+g+acl+selinux+xattrs
#E:             Empty group
#>:             Growing logfile p+u+g+i+n+S+acl+selinux+xattrs

# You can create custom rules like this.
# With MHASH...
# ALLXTRAHASHES = sha1+rmd160+sha256+sha512+whirlpool+tiger+haval+gost+crc32
ALLXTRAHASHES = sha1+rmd160+sha256+sha512+tiger
# Everything but access time (Ie. all changes)
EVERYTHING = R+ALLXTRAHASHES

# Sane, with multiple hashes
# NORMAL = R+rmd160+sha256+whirlpool
NORMAL = R+rmd160+sha256

# For directories, don't bother doing hashes
DIR = p+i+n+u+g+acl+selinux+xattrs

# Access control only
PERMS = p+i+u+g+acl+selinux

# Logfile are special, in that they often change
LOG = >

# Just do md5 and sha256 hashes
LSPP = R+sha256

# Some files get updated automatically, so the inode/ctime/mtime change
# but we want to know when the data inside them changes
DATAONLY =  p+n+u+g+s+acl+selinux+xattrs+md5+sha256+rmd160+tiger

# Next decide what directories/files you want in the database.

/afs/uncc.edu/coe/coe-web/coe/pcs    NORMAL
/afs/uncc.edu/coe/coe-web/seem        NORMAL
/afs/uncc.edu/coe/coe-web/mees        NORMAL

--
Jesse Bikman
Website: http://webpages.uncc.edu/~jbikman/