[Aide] Security question.

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 03:51:18 EEST 2007

Hello,

I'm thinking of running aide on two machines I have (a debian server and
an ubuntu laptop) as follows:

- put the aide binary and the configuration files for each machine on a
floppy disk, which i'll set as read only.
- keep the database on the hard drives of each machine, but...
- every time the database is generated, create an MD5sum of the database
file and write it down in a log book.
- check the md5sum before running aide --check

Is this safe? I assume it is, but I don't know the state of play with
people trying to break md5sum, and maybe there's something else I
haven't thought of.

andy baxter.