[Aide] Why won't this RE work?

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Mon Feb 26 22:11:47 EET 2007

Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
> We're using AIDE 0.10. It's old but my manager figures there will always be
> new versions of things and he wants to move only when there is clear need.

There is a need. Aide 0.10 contains very serious bugs that might defeat
the whole purpose of running a tool like aide. Please upgrade now.

> !/var/sadm/spool/patchpro_dnld_[[:digit:]]\{4\}\.[[:digit:]]\{2\}\.[[:digit:]]\{2\}@\([[:digit:]]\{2\}:\)\{3\}E[DS]T\.txt$

One thing I can recommend (out of habit) is using [0-9] which is a lot
easier to type than [[:digit:]]. Also, you get try the regex first using
grep or sed. If those tools parse it correctly, then try using it in
aide placing backslashes where needed..

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg