[Aide] Question: How to deal with flex and bison once AIDE is installed

Pablo Virolainen pablo at vapaa.fi
Thu Feb 15 10:06:19 EET 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Richard van den Berg wrote:

> Alexandre B. wrote:
> > Now that AIDE has been successfully made, can I uninstall Flex and Bison
> > or do I still need to keep it ?
>
> Flex and bison are only needed at compile time. You can safely remove
> them. You might need to install them again when you want to upgrade aide.
>
> Another way (my personal favorite) is to compile software on a separate
> system. Then tar everything up and move it to the target machine. Only a
> "make install" is needed to install the software. No need for gcc, flex,
> bison, etc to be present.

One possibility is to use virtual machine for build environment. I use
Qemu. See http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ and/or http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi

Anyone willing to create AIDE build environment(s) for Qemu? GNU/Linux
build environments should be quite easy. Minimal Debian installation with
gcc, bison, flex and... should be enough.

Pablo Virolainen