[Aide] How to make aide print file details of an arbitrary file?

Marc Haber mh+aide at zugschlus.de
Sat Oct 28 15:05:12 EEST 2006

Hi,

I'd like to include checksums of the reference database into the daily
cronjob report. Before I shellscript bad things, I'd like to use aide
to generate these checksums.

Unfortunately, this seems to be harder than thought. My naive approach
was to generate an aide configuration file that only checks
/var/lib/aide/aide.db and uses /dev/null as input and ouput database.
This got flagged as an error by aide as it does not like input and
output database to be the same file.

After telling aide to write to a dummy file I found out that aide
doesn't show the details of a _new_ file, and that I won't be getting
any file details this way.

Is there any way to get aide details of any given file short of
generating a single-line database that recognizes the file as "changed
in all details", which I have not yet been very successful in doing?

Greetings
Marc