[Aide] Problem understanding aide.conf rules and subsequent AIDE behavior

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Sat May 6 10:35:24 EEST 2006

Randy at work wrote:
> I did not do an init after making the change. I was changing the file
> then running a check.  I need to run an init after every change to
> aide.conf?   Steps as follows:
>
> Change aide.conf
> run aide --init
> change /etc/passwd (for example)
> run aide --check

Actually, the complete set of steps are:

1. Change aide.conf
2. Run aide --init
3. Rename aide.db.new to aide.db
4. Change /etc/passwd
5. Run aide --check

The reason for this is simple. When you first have an aide.conf with just

/ p+u+g

Then later on you decide to add

/etc p+i+n+u+g+s+m

If you do not do a new --init then the i+n+s+m attributes for
/etc/passwd are not in the database. As a result, aide could miss them
as changed. Although, with my test aide 0.11 did flag the changes in
this example.

Instead of --init you can also use --update if you already did an --init
once before. This way you can make sure that you are only updating
attributes as a result from changes you made to the aide.conf and not
other changes perhaps made by an intruder.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg