[Aide] Reading AIDE database from a URL?

Pablo Virolainen pablo at vapaa.fi
Wed Mar 22 14:49:49 EET 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Christoph Ehret wrote:

> I am not quite sure I understood well what this command do : you have
> all the different DB and conf files for every server to watch on a
> central server. From this central server, you first put the aide DB and
> conf for a host to watch to stdout, then pipe this to ssh which will
> pass this as input to aide on ${host} . So what I am not sure : aide is
> installed on ${host} and is not on the central server, isnt'it ? And
> what about aide -c - -u : -c ok, -u ok, but what is the meaning of -
> between -c and -u ?
>
> Thanks to put some light on what I cannot see :) .

-c - tells aide to read configuration file from stdin.

Each host has aide binary (no configuration nor database). I can ssh to
the host without passwd.

Central server can also have aide installed.

In the central server (the trusted one) I keep aide configuration and
database files. In most cases, all the configuration files actually are
symlinks to aide_default.conf. I have different DB for each machine,
because of different cpu arch (One x86, one sparc, one 68k, one CRIS which
is currently broken).

The whole script goes

date=`date +%F`
for host in ${hosts_to_check}
do
	cat aide_${host}.conf aide_${host}.db |ssh user@${host} aide -c - -u > ${host}_${date}.db 2> ${host}_${date}.raport &
done

ps. You might want to use gzip to reduce size of the output database and
set limit to the database and raport files size.

Pablo Virolainen