[Aide] AIDE exit status

Christopher Jon Caldwell caldwell at gwu.edu
Fri Jun 16 14:14:56 EEST 2006

Does AIDE always return a 0 from the check command? I have a bourne
shell script that is run nightly on all of my hosts that appends all
results to a log file and I populate a word list as a psuedo-array to
indicate where the errors occurred in the subject line of the email
containing the log. Even when there are differences between the
filesystem and the database the code below echos a newline into the
log rather than appending aide to the word list. This seems counter-
intuitive given other command behaviours (e.g. diff which returns a 1
if differences are found). I realize that I could use a workaround
like using tee to pass the AIDE output to a second logfile and grep
for the strings "Changed" or "Added", but it seems like this behavior
should be fixed.

if $AIDE --check >> $LOG; then
   echo "" >> $LOG
else
   set `echo $*` aide
fi

--
Christopher Caldwell

Systems Engineer, Enterprise Systems, The George Washington University
caldwell @ gwu . edu | +1 202.994.4674 (w) | +1 202.409.0878 (c)
PGP key ID: 0x0A0EC46C

"Formal education can rarely improve the character of a scoundrel."
                                        - Derek Bok, Harvard University