[Aide] configuration file regex problem

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Mon Jan 23 19:01:48 EET 2006

* Richard van den Berg <richard at vdberg.org> [2006-01-22 20:46:02 +0000]:

> > In my aide.conf I have:
> >
> > /var/service/.*         CONF
> > !/var/service/.*/supervise/control
> > !/var/service/.*/supervise/status
> > !/var/service/.*/supervise/pid
> > !/var/service/.*/supervise/stat
>
> This will not work. See
> https://mailman.cs.tut.fi/pipermail/aide/2005-August/000160.html
>
> Aide does not allow regexes in the directory part of a selection rule.
> The reason for this, is that aide uses that path information to decide
> which directories to recurse into. Only the file part is a full featured
> regex.

Thanks... I discovered this a little later on (poking around in the
archives, I think I saw that exact same message).

So, regex's only work on a *file* component, not on directory
components, even if the directory is the last "node"?  For example:

/var/service/.*

would only work on *files* in /var/service, but not *directories* in
/var/service?

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"