[Aide] configuration file regex problem

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Sat Jan 21 21:26:07 EET 2006

Sorry, I keep spamming the list... =)

I have a problem and I can't seem to make this work.  I use runit to
manage services so I have a directory layout like:

/var/service/{sshd,syslogd,etc}

inside these service directories are files like run, finish, check, etc.
They also have a subdir called supervise which contains status files and
pipes that runit uses, but I don't care about monitoring these files.
On each service restart, these files will change.  I want to make sure
that the run/finish/check files aren't tampered with and some also have
a peers/ subdir for ACL controls.

In my aide.conf I have:

/var/service/.*         CONF
!/var/service/.*/supervise/control
!/var/service/.*/supervise/status
!/var/service/.*/supervise/pid
!/var/service/.*/supervise/stat

and CONF is defined as:

CONF=p+i+n+u+g+s+m+sha1+rmd160

I tried to use:

!/var/service/.*/supervise/.*

and:

!/var/service/.*/supervise$

but I don't seem to get the behaviour I want.  How can I make this work
properly?

Also, with the current invocation (the first illustration) I get a lot
of:

open_dir():Not a directory: /var/service/svn/log/supervise/status
open_dir():Not a directory: /var/service/svn/log/supervise/pid

For every service I have in /var/service.  That's a little irritating.

Essentially, I want to monitor everything in /var/service/* *except* for
the supervise/ subdir and it's contents.

Anyone have any pointers for me?

Also, another side note... is there a reason why I can't have the input
and output database urls to be the same?  I mean, I understand the
reasoning for an --update (for which I use a -B option to redefine one
of them), but for a --check is there a reason why AIDE is complaining?

On a --check we're not writing a database, so it shouldn't care.  I can
illustrate this further in a follow up mail as I'm currently writing a
set of scripts to update and check AIDE using GPG.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"