[Aide] aide 0.11 is generating a VERY large database.

Marc Haber mh+aide at zugschlus.de
Sat Dec 2 11:15:42 EET 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 02:27:24PM +1300, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 12/2/06, Marc Haber <mh+aide at zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > I begin to wonder whether you have actually read the documentation
> > that came with your Debian package, and have tried to understand the
> > default configuration.
> Marc,
>
> Is there a piece of documentation (maybe I only overlooked that
> reading /usr/share/doc/aide/*Debian.gz) that explains the number
> scheme in /etc/aide/aide.conf.d/[0-9]{2}_.* ?

The number scheme just forces the correct order of rules as aide uses
a rather elaborate precedence scheme that I still have not fully
grasped.

Mainly, it's a mixture of "deepest match wins" and "last match wins",
which is the cause that the more special rules are "late" in the
Debian rule set.

Greetings
Marc