[Aide] Newbie Questions

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Tue Apr 11 15:42:01 EEST 2006

Pablo,

Solaris containers is inherently secure in as much as the "container"
(Zone) is completely isolated from the main OS.  The only writable files
are local to the container.  It is impossible to overwrite or add/remove
system files.  It's BSD Jails taken to another level.  The only way to
modify system files is from the main OS, which you can't get to from
within a container.  Once a zone is established, it has it's own network
stack, device stack, etc. You actually boot the zone to bring it up. So,
even though I wouldn't say there aren't exploitable vulnerabilities,
these should be contained to the container. (pun intended).  It is so
isolated, that people are running a guest OS inside a container
(Windows, Linux, BSD, etc.).  This work is called BrandZ.

I'm not an OS zealot, I just like impressive technology.  I'll use
whatever is the best suited for the tasks I need to perform.  Solaris
Containers (Zones) is extremely impressive.  It takes me all of 15
minutes to set up a zone and boot and it's amazingly light on the system
resources.  The other really striking technology from Sun that I'm
currently watching is the ZFS file system.  If they can work out the
last few performance kinks then I'm sold.  I believe the current
codebase for ZFS has been ported to Linux.