[Aide] I (ignore changed filename) woes

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Fri Oct 28 10:21:27 EEST 2005

Marc Haber wrote:
> on my test host, I am running the CVS snapshot from October 26. I have
> a rule
>
> RotatedLogs = I+n+p+i+u+g+s+b+m+c+md5+sha1+rmd160+haval+gost+crc32+tiger

It could be you ran into bug number 1065184, see
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1065184&group_id=86976&atid=581579

The following rule should work:

RotatedLogs = I+n+p+i+u+g+s+b+m+md5+sha1+rmd160+haval+gost+crc32+tiger

> Maybe it'll help if somebody familiar with the aide code could explain
> - in prose - how the new I setting works internally.

IIRC when the I (Inode) setting checks the properties for the inode, and
ignores changes in the filename itself. Without the I, aide uses the
filename to check for differences. Unfortunately, checking for ctime
seems to override the Inode setting. I submitted this as a bug since it
should be possible to get them to work together, but I could not find
how exactly.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg