[Aide] writing new AIDE data base to stderr

Sven.Hartrumpf@fernuni-hagen.de Sven.Hartrumpf at fernuni-hagen.de
Wed Oct 26 01:10:52 EEST 2005

Thanks Richard for pushing me away from suspecting a bug in aide.
The problem was in the redirection of stderr and stdout
(which I found on some web pages):

> #! /bin/bash
>
> bzcat aide.db.bz2 | /media/floppy/aide -c aide.conf -u > /tmp/aide.log 2>&1 | bzip2 -9 > aide.db.new
Adding parentheses solved my problem:
  bzcat aide.db.bz2 | ( /media/floppy/aide -c aide.conf --verbose=0 -u 1> /tmp/aideu.log ) 2>&1 | bzip2 -9 > aide.db.new

So, AIDE allows to write simple scripts that compress the data base with programs
other than gzip and/or encrypt the data base with gpg etc. Very cool!
So maybe you can drop the encryption/PGP points from the file Todo by adding a
simple script example.

Sven