[Aide] File type attribute

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Oct 21 06:07:03 EEST 2005

Pete J. O'Hara wrote:
> I know Tripwire looks at file "types" and since I am looking to this
> as a replacement I was curious.

I am still using one of the last free versions of tripwire and at
least with that version there is no such thing as file types.  And of
course unix does not have file types either (except maybe character
device, block device, pipe, socket, directory, file and those are all
captured by the file mode) so that all makes sense.

The new commercial tripwire also targets MS-Windows systems.  Looking
at the documentation for the new tripwire available on the web I do
see that it mentions file types in relation to the file name
extension.  In MS-Windows the file name extension indicates the file
type.  This was the only reference to file types that I found in the
tripwire manual.

    "The match attribute specifies wildcard pattern matching of file
    types for inclusion or exclusion in an integrity check.  For
    example, to be notified when a new .dll file is added to a
    particular (Windows) directory, you can use the match attribute
    (see examples below)."

I can only guess that this is to what you are referring.  And if so
then the file type is completely captured by the file name and aide
would report if the file name was changed.

> But I see your point regarding pertinence. I guess with all of the
> other attributes file type isn't too important.

Can you give an example of a tripwire file type that is not simply a
filename extension?

Bob