[Aide] AIDE release roadmap

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Wed Oct 19 10:30:58 EEST 2005

Marc Haber wrote:
> It's very good to see aide being developed again. I know how hard it
> is to judge development time, but I'd like to know what your plans are
> for future aide 0.11 release candidates and later the actual 0.11
> release.

I am trying to get the large file support to work under HP-UX before
releasing 0.11-rc2. That should take about 1 week. After that it depends
if there are any issues with that release before it can become the final
0.11.

> Is it wise to putt 0.11rc into Debian experimental, or will I have to
> fight with 0.10 in unstable, testing and stable for months until 0.11
> is finally released and thus suitable for Debian unstable and testin?

I would expect the final 0.11 release to be out within 1 month from now.

> May I ask whether you have a roadmap planned and how things are
> currently going? Judging from the traffic on this list, the
> experiences with 0.11rc1 are not very bad.

One issue reported by Michael Schwendt (package maintainer of aide in
Fedora Extras) is that the i18n/gettext part of aide which includes an
old Russian translation is broken. This needs to be resolved before
releasing 0.11. Since the original translator is no longer available, I
am tempted to get rid of the internationalization, and just go with English.

Beyond aide 0.11, there really is no clear roadmap. There are a few
changes I like to make before moving to a 1.0 version. But it all
depends on available time. I usually am able to fix reproducable bugs in
CVS, but a regular release process takes up more time than I have to
spare at the moment.

If anyone is willing to help out, especially with automake/autoconf
magic, please step forward. The right way to do that is to join the
aide-devel list at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/aide-devel and drop us a
line there.

Sincerely,