[Aide] Aide 0.11-rc1 do_md Unknown error 530, error mmap'ing

Richard van den Berg richard at vdberg.org
Tue Oct 18 18:38:04 EEST 2005

Thanks for supplying the details of your setup.

unspawn wrote:
> CentOS 3.3 with default distro rpm's, glibc-2.3.2-95.33, Linux
> 2.4.21-27.0.4.EL kernel from CentOS, no closed source modules.\
>
> Partitions ext3fs only, offending partition from /proc/mounts: /dev/hda5
> /usr ext3 ro,noatime,nodev 0 0.

AFAIK O_NOATIME is in kernel 2.6.8 and beyond. I could not find and
reports on a backport to 2.4.x. So this sounds like a bug in the kernel
and/or the filesystem. Other software that uses O_NOATIME (tar for
example) simply checks for the existance of O_NOATIME in <fcntl.h>, if
it is there, it will be used. At least the configure of aide tests if
files can be opened using this flag.

The fix to retry when opening with O_NOATIME fails (suggested by Pablo)
should work around this. So please try aide 0.11-rc2 when it is released.

Sincerely,

Richard van den Berg