[Aide] I (ignore changed filename) woes

Marc Haber mh+aide at zugschlus.de
Tue Nov 1 11:50:17 EET 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:55:50AM +0100, Richard van den Berg wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
> > Is there some way to say "it's ok to have a file matching this regexp
> > appear, include its value to the database but do not list it"?
>
> No, ignore rules effect both the new database and the report. It is not
> possible to include a file in the new database but ignore it in the
> report. Maybe this should be added to the todo list.

Yes, it should, and probably be added before 0.11 is released, that
feature is quite important. How about using N as a group for "do not
report new or deleted files, but include them to the database.
Reporting behavior for files that are already in the database is not
changed."

> I was struggling with the same issues when the 'I' rule was added to
> aide. I don't think it helps much for rotating log files. All it does is
> not report changes when the filename is the only thing that has changed.
> (mainlog.2.gz -> mainlog.3.gz).

Which takes a lot of the heat away.

Greetings
Marc