[Aide] O_NOATIME for open(2) (also O_DIRECT, O_LARGEFILE ?)

Vlada Macek tuttle at bbs.cvut.cz
Wed Aug 10 13:54:57 EEST 2005

[At 10.08.2005 11:11, Richard van den Berg kindly sent the following
quotation.]

> After some testing and reading the discussion at
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/11/226 I am going to give up on using
> O_DIRECT. It requires alligning the read buffer, and it is depends
> too much on kernel version and filesystem types.

Well, it would be nice if Aide wouldn't trash the system read filecache,
but O_DIRECT seem to be a bit immature for wide use on Linux...

> I'll try to work in O_NOATIME next.

> Ok, I've implemented O_NOATIME in the CVS version of aide. Please
> test it, especially on older Linux kernels that do not support this
> yet. The configure script should detect this case. I've also updated
> the daily snapshot.

Wow, that was something quick. :-) Thanks on behalf of the users.

Seeing the code, just one thing for consideration: Are the situations
when admins (users of AIDE) may expect the atime to be changed by
hashing? I don't know, but they may wish O_NOATIME to be configurable.

IMO, it should be also mentioned in the documentation.

--

\//\/\
(Sometimes credited as 1494 F8DD 6379 4CD7 E7E3 1FC9 D750 4243 1F05 9424.)