[Aide] AIDE quirks (Cygwin mainly)

Lavoie, Tim Tim.Lavoie at naviplan.com
Fri Dec 17 21:25:58 EET 2004

Hello all,

I've just recently started using AIDE, under both Linux and Cygwin. I
googled around, so I have static Cygwin and RH Linux binaries, so I'm
fine there.

There are a couple things which I have run into, that I haven't seen
mentioned on the list.

The first is that I'm not sure how to specify paths in the config file,
if they contain space characters. I've worked around it for now, using
wildcards. In this case, the first culprit is the main "Program Files"
directory on Windows, which under Cygwin looks like "/cygdrive/c/Program
Files". I tried wrapping quotes around the path, but that breaks the
file parser.

The other oddity is that when running against Cygwin with compression
enabled, the database is created OK, but the compressed version is not
recognized when checking later. The symptom is an interminable list of
messages about how there must be one db_spec, presumably because AIDE is
reading the gzipped file as text. When given a manually-decompressed
version, all is well, and it works fine if compression is simply
disabled.

Otherwise, everything is great, so I think this will be quite a boon on
some new servers I'm helping to get going. If there are suggestions to
the path issue though, I'm all ears.

  Cheers,
  Tim